ROADS on Mars — News for teams (March 24, 2020)
G’day, ROADS on Mars teams!
Meet an expert
We hope you can join us this Thursday, March 26, for another of our “Meet an Expert” chats! John Rummel, a senior scientist at the SETI Institute, will join us for an hour to talk on a subject that may sound very familiar right now — planetary protection. How do we keep Earth from getting contaminated by microbes from space? How do we protect other bodies in the solar system (Mars, for example!) from becoming contaminated by organisms from Earth? When the Apollo 11 astronauts returned from that first mission to the moon, they were quarantined for nearly a month in a special Airstream trailer. What does planetary protection look like in our modern era? John’s talk will cover the rationale for planetary protection considerations and its implementation during interplanetary journeys.
- Thursday, March 26
- 12 p.m. (Pacific Time) / 3 p.m. (Eastern Time)
- NESSP webinar instructions
Important ROADS announcement coming Thursday!
The ROADS on Mars challenge may be indefinitely suspended — but you don’t have to step off the ROAD(s) just yet. NESSP has been brainstorming ideas on how we can continue working on our mission even while we’re grounded, and on Thursday we’ll have an exciting announcement on our new, ROADS-related project. Join us for our “Meet an Expert” chat to get all the details. Or, if you can’t join us on Zoom, check out our website Thursday afternoon (Pacific Time) for details to go live.
- James Webb Mini-Mission Virtual Training [June 29, 2022] 🗓
- James Webb Mini-Mission Virtual Training [June 27, 2022] 🗓
- ROAD on Icy Worlds Mini-Mission Virtual Training [July 11th, 2022] 🗓
- ROADS on Icy Worlds Mini-Mission Virtual Training [June 29, 2022] 🗓
- ROADS on Icy Worlds Mini-Mission Virtual Training [June 27, 2022] 🗓